Christian Service Projects
Christian Service Projects
Each year level classes will be challenged to participate in a special Christian Service project over and above their 25 hours as a member of the St. Paul family. This project is one that is meant to help unify the class as well as deepen the conviction of our Christian call to serve God’s poor.
Below are a variety of possible service activities you can do virtually and adhering to Covid protocols. Most are “Virtual Volunteering”, others are things you can do in your own neighborhood with limited/no contact with others. Of course, you are not limited to these suggestions, use your own creativity. We would love to see & share photos of your virtual volunteering! Please attach any photos to your x2vol log submission.
- MAKE MEALS OR BAKE GOODS for local homebound neighbors (leave on doorstep).
- PICK UP GROCERIES/SUPPLIES for homebound neighbors (leave on doorstep).
- MOW LAWNS/DO YARD WORK for elderly/disabled
- WRITE LETTERS/CARDS: Contact a local nursing home and get the names of all the residents from a wing of their center – write them each a personal note of encouragement and support and mail them.
- CREATE HYGIENE KITS and mail or drop them off at a homeless shelter (some ideas: Salvation Army, Guadalupe Center, Fred Jordan Mission, LA Mission, Union Rescue Mission, Midnight Mission, and The Catholic Worker).
- COLLECT & DROP OFF FOOD to Interfaith Food Center The address is Interfaith Food Center
11819 Burke Street Santa Fe Springs, California 90670. Visit their website at: interfaithfoodcenter.org. You can also go there and volunteer. Sign up at: www.interfaithfoodcenter.org/volunteer
Most needed items: Soups, Pasta sauce, Tomato sauce, Tuna packets, Vienna sausage types of meat, Small flip top lid items, Crackers, Peanut butter
- ORGANIZE A CONTACTLESS FOOD OR SUPPLY DRIVE in your neighborhood: Put flyers on the doors of your neighborhood announcing what you are collecting and why/where it will go. Let them know a date/time (about 4 days after the flyer is posted) that you will come around to collect donations. Have them leave the donations in front of their door. On that date/time go around and collect the donations then drop them off at charity of your choice or the Interfaith Food Center at 11819 Burke Street Santa Fe Springs, California 90670. Visit their website at: interfaithfoodcenter.org.
- BE AN ONLINE TUTOR. Contact a grade school or your family/friends/teachers with school-age children and see if you are able to offer virtual tutoring to any of their
- VOLUNTEER TO DISTRIBUTE FOOD/SUPPLIES. If you feel the need to get out of the house (we are not promoting this activity unless safety precautions are taken gloves/masks/etc. This must be done at your own risk and in/through your own/parents’ own conscience) Food Banks are very understaffed right now and are in great need, you can volunteer at one of them to sort food. LAUSD also needs volunteers to distribute “Grab & Go”
- COOK AND DELIVER MEALS TO AREA SHUT INS - contact your local place of worship for names of those that are homebound and shut in. They will often be glad to coordinate a meal delivery with you for them!
- SEW MASKS FOR AREA HOSPITALS - there are plenty of how-to do it videos online, and Jo-Ann Fabrics is even willing to donate fabric for the cause! https://www.joann.com/make-to-give- response/
- SEW MASKS & COLLECT SUPPLIES FOR HOMELESS/POVERTY OUTREACH PROGRAM
The Scalabrini Outreach Program (SOP) housed in St. Peter's Italian Catholic Church in downtown Los Angeles. They provide to the 2,000 homeless men, women and children living on the streets of our city and to the working poor that struggle to supply their basic needs everyday. Most needed supplies: 2,000 homemade face masks, Canned Fruits and Vegetables, paper bags, Deli Wax Paper, 10" x 10.75" , aluminum foil sheets, bags of rice and beans, water bottles. https://stpeteritalianchurchla.org/outreach-program
- SPREAD A LITTLE LOVE, KINDNESS AND INSPIRATION TO OUR WORLD. Create uplifting messages with chalk on neighborhood sidewalks. Take a pic of any chalks you create & find and hashtag #chalkproject or #chalkambassador to help us spread the LOVE. web: com
Twitter: @chalkproject Instagram @chalkproject #chalkproject Spread the love!
- READ BOOKS TO CHILDREN through a virtual storytelling program for underserved K-5 Students. With Wise Readers https://wisereaderstoleaders.org/remote-reading/ or Her Handshake https://herhandshake.com/
- PUT TOGETHER A VIRTUAL CONCERT to entertain your family, friends, and other people stuck in isolation.
- MAKE TEDDY BEARS FOR CHILDREN IN NEED. Knit or crochet teddy bears or stuff pre-sewn teddy bears to donate to hospitals, police stations, fire stations, or charity
17. COLLECT & DELIVER NEW BOOKS & TOYS FOR SICK CHILDREN in Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles
- VOLUNTEER ONLINE TO A CAMPAIGN to enact real-world change. Do Something empowers young people to enact social change both online or off. https://www.dosomething.org/us.
- BE AN ONLINE AMBASSADOR with Ark of Hope for Children. Offer hope, love and encouragement to survivors, especially those victimized as children by Human Trafficking, Child Abuse and Bullying. Become a virtual Junior Listener through eMentoring Services - https://arkofhopeforchildren.org/
- VOLUNTEER TO TRANSLATE with Translators Without Borders. They offer language and translation support for humanitarian and development agencies, and other non-profit organizations on a global scale. https://translatorswithoutborders.org/about-us/
- GIVE TREATS MAKE BRACELETS FOR TROOPS Send troops treats through Operation Gratitude or Soldier’s Angels. https://soldiersangels.org/Soldiers-Angels-Treats-for-Troops.html, https://www.operationgratitude.com/
- WRITE LETTERS TO TROOPS through Soldier’s Angels, A Million Thanks, Operation Stars & Stripes or Operation Gratitude. https://soldiersangels.org/Soldiers-Angels-Treats-for-Troops.html, https://amillionthanks.org/, http://operationstarsandstripes.org/, https://operationgratitude.com/
- BE AN ONLINE LISTENER. Provide an ear and just listen to someone with emotional needs at 7Cups
- ORGANIZE AN ONLINE COAT FUNDRAISER with Operation Warm. Help Children in need by organizing a fundraiser of brand-new winter coats, which empowers children by sparking confidence and self-pride. https://www.operationwarm.org/get-involved/
- USE AN APP TO HELP THE BLIND. Lend your eyes to solve tasks for blind and low vision people. Be My Eyes. Please get parents permission. https://www.bemyeyes.com/about
- BE A RESEARCHER ON A PROJECT e: Identify New York Wildlife or map our galaxy or assist researchers in many other ways through Zooniverse, the world’s largest and most popular platform for people-powered research https://www.zooniverse.org/get-involved
- SEW EMOTIONAL SUPPORT BLANKETS for Binky Patrol https://binkypatrol.org/ or Project Linus
28. PROOFREAD EBOOKS for Project Gutenberg
- TRANSCRIBE DOCUMENTS for the Smithsonian https://www.si.edu/volunteer/DigitalVolunteers
- TRACK BIRD POPULATIONS with eBird https://ebird.org/home
- ANSWER TEXTS FROM PEOPLE IN CRISIS using active listening and collaborative problem solving with Crisis Text Line https://www.crisistextline.org/become-a-volunteer/
- CROCHET OR KNIT AFGHAN SQUARES that will help build blankets for both babies and adults. Send them to Warm Up America. https://warmupamerica.org/
- RECORD AUDIOBOOKS for Librivox. https://librivox.org/pages/volunteer-for-librivox/
- WRITE A CARD, LETTER OR NOTE ONCE A WEEK to someone undergoing chemotherapy. Apply at
Chemo Angels https://www.chemoangels.com/angel-pre-app
- RECORD YOUR VOICE and help the speechless have a custom synthetic voice that is unique to them. Help those who rely on assistive technologies, diversify the voices we hear in speaking devices and apps, and enable them to tap into the full power of voice identity. https://vocalid.ai/
- TEACH & ENCOURAGE children around the world via Skype through Granny Cloud. http://thegrannycloud.org/
- TEST, EVALUATE OR DEVELOP ELEMENTS of the National Park Service’s online presence https://www.nps.gov/subjects/digital/getinvolved.htm.
- RAISE MONEY in a virtual world with The American Cancer Society and Second Life. https://www.cancer.org/involved/volunteer/society-second-life.html
- DEVELOP VIDEO GAMES to help App to Succeed teach youth in need how to make good financial decisions. https://www.apptosucceed.org/
- TRAIN OTHERS IN TECHNOLOGY to help overcome poverty with Right Here at Home. http://rhah.org/
- Share social media posts for Operation Warm https://www.operationwarm.org/get- involved/community-managed-coat-program/
- TAKE ONLINE RESEARCH TESTS. Help Harvard researchers learn the best ways to break down stereotypes with Project Implicit. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
- LOOK AT SATELLITE IMAGES OF STORMS and help researchers predict cyclone behavior with
Look for other Virtual Volunteer opportunities posted on the following sites:
- City of Los Angeles: https://volunteer.lamayor.org/
- A. Works: http://www.laworks.com/
- Volunteer Match: Lists ways to support a broad range of causes, including education, the environment, homelessness and many more. https://www.volunteermatch.org/
- United Nations Volunteers (UNV): Connects volunteers to opportunities to address sustainable development challenges around the world. https://www.unv.org/
- All for Good: Includes detailed descriptions of volunteer positions as well as estimated time commitments. https://www.allforgood.org/
- org: Use the "Take Action” or “Find and Action” link to look for volunteer opportunities https://www.idealist.org/en/
- AmeriCorps & Senior Corps: National and Community Service Database: https://www.nationalservice.gov/serve
- Coyote Communications: lists virtual positions for causes you are passionate about. http://www.coyotecommunications.com/stuff/findvv.shtml