St. Paul High School

Skip to main content
Athletic Info » Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility Requirements

In order to try out or participate in any athletic competition, all student-athletes must:

Be making satisfactory academic progress as defined by the school. Any student achieving less than a 2.0 grade point average at the end of any quarter grading period will be declared ineligible for extra-curricular activities for the following quarter. Students ineligible to participate may be eligible for an Academic Appeal process once in grades 9 and 10 and once in grades 11 and 12.  The Academic Appeal process is coordinated through the Office of the Dean of Student Life and is explained in the Student/Parent Handbook. 

Head coaches of each program publish his/her guidelines for ineligible students.  At the discretion of a coach, if a student is ineligible they are allowed to attend practices but may not miss any academic classes by leaving school early and they may not be in uniform at any games.


The NCAA Initial-Eligibility Center is an organization that works with the NCAA to determine a student’s eligibility for athletics participation in his or her first year of college enrollment. Students who want to participate in college sports during their first year of enrollment in college must register with the clearinghouse. Located in Iowa City, Iowa, the clearinghouse staff follows NCAA bylaws and regulations in analyzing and processing a student’s high school academic records, ACT or SAT scores, and key information about amateurism participation to determine the student’s initial eligibility. 


Fill out the online form at the Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse Web Site or call the NCAA publications hotline at (800) 638-3731 and ask for a free copy of the "Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete" which contains the registration forms and a Eligibility house brochure.


NCAA Eligibility Center
 P.O. Box 7136 
Indianapolis, IN 46207 
(877) 262-1492 (customer service Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Central time) 
(319) 337-1556 (fax)