THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT OF ST. PAUL HIGH SCHOOL
The Guidance Department of St. Paul High School supports the Mission of the school by assisting students in recognizing their unique intrinsic value, given to them by God. We aim to guide students in self-awareness of their goals, interests, and abilities, and assist them in their growth in three domains: Academic Development, Personal and Social Development, and Career Development.
- Informing students of course requirements, graduation requirements, and college requirements.
- Encouraging students to establish challenging, attainable educational goals for themselves.
- Identifying barriers to student achievement, and working collaboratively with parents, students, and teachers.
- Developing a Four-Year Academic Plan for each student, to attain educational success.
- Demonstrating to students the relationship between educational performance and career opportunities.
- Encouraging students to become invested in their own educational success.
- Providing information on characteristics of a variety of colleges, college majors, and financial aid, and scholarships.
Personal and Social Development Domain
- Supporting students as they grow in autonomy and wholeness.
- Encouraging students to develop positive attitudes toward self, family, school, and the larger community.
- Offering students a variety of problem-solving approaches to use throughout life.
- Encouraging spiritual growth and the development of a strong relationship with God as a source of strength during difficulties.
- Providing education and support services to parents.
- Assisting students’ transition between elementary school and high school, and between high school and college.
- Facilitating referrals to community support services.
- Consulting with teachers to strategize for individual student success.
- Strengthening students’ communication and interpersonal skills.
Career Development Domain
- Assisting students in exploring interests and abilities.
- Utilizing community resources in helping students to explore a variety of careers, and establish career goals.
- Motivating students to understand the relationship between academic achievement and career success.
- Assist students in selection post-secondary education which supports their career goals.
- Encouraging students’ active participation in service to school, church, and community.
- Supporting student leadership in clubs and organizations.
The objectives of the St. Paul High School Guidance Office are realized in the G.A.I.N. program for parents and students. For more information about the G.A.I.N. program, please CLICK HERE